• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ILLINOIS LAWS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NEED TO KNOW

In asking the following questions, I am assuming that Lincolnwood is in Cook County.

In Cook County, if one has a will(husband and wife) and the husband dies, is it an ABSOLUTE that the will be filed with Probate or some such state branch. This is an un-contested will.

If so, what is the statute of limitation?

I was given to believe (by a clerk working in probate)that ALL wills must be filed and a matter of public record.

After the death, is there a way of avoiding doing so? (one of the beneficiaries is a lawyer)

Thank you for your prompt reply

NEED TO KNOW

dmode101

I am Cook County, Illinois attorney (Palatine). Yes, all wills are required by statute to be filed with the clerk of the probate court in the county where decedent resided w/i 30 DAYS after death. See 755 ILCS 5/6-1. Technically, it is a crime if you do not -- but, do not worry, you will not be prosecuted if you file it more than 30 days after death.

Do not confuse "filing" a will with "probating" a will. Just because you file the will does not necessarily mean you need to probate it. You only need to probate the will if the decedent has over $50,000 in assets in his sole name - and yes you would need to even if the will is "uncontested."

For more info on Illinois probate and estate planning law, see my website at http://www.illinoisestateplan.com

------------------
Jeffrey R. Gottlieb, Attorney at Law
http://www.illinoisestateplan.com
This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">