• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probate for orphan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

roschana

I've written before, but the situation has changed. My sister died intestate l(in Hawaii) eaving lots of bills and a legacy of book royalties which we would like to protect for her son. (Father is also gone.) The son does not wish to move to WA with me, and Hawaii says he has the right to make this decision. So he may not be my ward, but I feel I should be doing something about the estate, since no one else has begun the probate process. I don't want anyone adopting him with the thought that he might have money coming to him. Even though it is pitifully little, it should still be his at some point. How do I proceed? I don't even know who to contact in Hawaii for any information.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by roschana:
I've written before, but the situation has changed. My sister died intestate l(in Hawaii) eaving lots of bills and a legacy of book royalties which we would like to protect for her son. (Father is also gone.) The son does not wish to move to WA with me, and Hawaii says he has the right to make this decision. So he may not be my ward, but I feel I should be doing something about the estate, since no one else has begun the probate process. I don't want anyone adopting him with the thought that he might have money coming to him. Even though it is pitifully little, it should still be his at some point. How do I proceed? I don't even know who to contact in Hawaii for any information.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Contact the Hawaii information operator, and get the number for the Hawaii State Bar Association. Call them, and ask for a referral to a Probate Attorney. Make arrangements for a Probate to be filed and what to do with the youngster.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">