• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smithgcs

What is the name of your state? NY
IF MY PARENTS GIVE ME A HOME VALUED AT 500,000 IS THERE A TAX LIABILITY TO EITHER OF US?THEY ARE OVER 65 AND ARE NOT LOOKING TO DUMP ASSETS,BUT JUST TO GIVE US A GIFT. I THOUGHT THERE WAS AN EXEMPTION OF 1 MILLION DOLLARS IN A LIFETIME. IS THIS TRUE OR IS IT THE 11,000 ?

abezon

The exemption is $1.3 million per person over their lifetime, and applies to taxable gifts (more than $11,000 in a year to one recipient) and to their estate when they pass away. There would probably be no consequences for them giving you a house/ They'd just file a form 706 Gift tax Return & reduce the amount of their available credit int he future. However, if they have sufficient assets that they can give you a $500,000 house, they should see a professional estate planner who can help them with a comprehensive gifting plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">