• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employee or ind. contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lisa69kin

What is the name of your state? ca

I am a licensed nurse hired by a staffing agency. On the date of hire I filled out a w-4, which clearly stated the number of allowances as 8. I also signed a document which stated that I was an independent contractor. I did not realized at the time the legalities of the taxes etc. I only worked a few shifts for them from October to December total wages about 2000.00. No Federal or State was deducted from my biweekly paycheck (270.00 avg) I assumed because I was claiming 8. The medi-care, and SSI and disability deductions were taken out. My employer sent me a 1099 instead of a w-2. Saying that I am not an employee. I have to pay for the taxes. This does not seem right. Also if I was not considered as an employee shouldnt I have been paid for milegage?

abezon

If your employer took out money for SS, medicare, & L&I, why are they reporting the amounts on a 1099-MISC? Take them your paystubs & ask them to issue a corrected 1099 showing $0 income and a new W2. If not, report the income on line 7 (wages) and enclose a statement that the employer reported the money on a 1099-MISC, but withheld payroll taxes. Therefore, the employer should have reported the income on a W2.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">