• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k rolled over to Simple IRA then Roth

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sbriel

What is the name of your state? Florida, age 35

Here's the scenario:

Lets say I have $40,000 in my 401K. I started a new job that does not have a 401k. I can of course keep it with my current 401k company or roll it into a tradional IRA. I decided to place it in the simple IRA. There is no penalty for this.

Next:

I have $45,000 in worthless stocks. I request a check for entire amount of $40,000 from simple IRA. They will send me a 1099 showing amount they sent me. (penalties are usually your tax bracket plus 10 % if I am correct) If I sell these stocks this year could I use the loss of the stocks to offset any taxes or early withdrawal penalties owed on the $45,000 simple IRA amount withdrawn?

Finally:

If so, I would use the entire amount of $40,000 to place tax free into a Roth IRA account. Would this all be legal and a good idea?
I still have 32 years before I can use it and it would be great not to pay taxes when I retire. This amount would be tax free including all profits from the principle.

abezon

NO! You can only take a maximum of $3,000 per year capital loss to reduce ordinary income. If you withdraw the $40,000, you'll have $4,000 in penalties & $37,000 in taxable income. This would be bad.

Try selling your worthless stocks now (carry forward the losses) and convert $3,000/year to a Roth. The stock loss will exactly offset the Roth conversion income. There are no penalties for converting to a Roth. You could even convert a little more & just pay the tax on the amount over $3,000.

There are also certain times when you can withdraw money from an IRA without penalty (i.e., buying your first house in 2 years or going to college).

S

sbriel

Capital gain vs capital loss

But if I have $45,000 of capital losses to $40,000 capital gains, the losses should offset the gains. My financial advisor said this would work.

ShyCat

The $40000 withdrawn from a 401(k) or IRA (doesn't matter) is considered ordinary income, not capital gains. You can only offset up to $3000/year in capital losses against ordinary income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">