• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Difference in power of Attorneys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

T. Sully

I need to know what the difference is , if any, between a Durable Power of Attorney and a General Power of Attorney. I have a general one over my Mom but was not explained to me what this actually means.
T.S. Tennessee

W

Whaleman72

I believe a general power of attorney is usually durable. Durable means that it lasts forever, until revoked by the grantor or until death. The power survives incompetency which makes it both very useful and a bit dangerous. Therefore, you should be very careful about executing a durable general power of attorney.

If you want a power of attorney in case you become incompetent, use a springing power of attorney. It springs into existence only if you should become incompetent.

I believe this cite has a section on powers for review. Take a look.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">