• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOW DO WE BURY THIS MAN?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

young5344

My father-in-law has $3500 in life insurance, a truck worth maybe $4000 and $6000 in debt. He has no other assets. He has no will. Will his creditors seize his life insurance? My husband is going to have him sell his truck and put that $ in savings to pay for his burial. Can my husband be put on his checking accout or does he need a durable power of attorney to pay his bills is he becomes incapacitated? If he doesn't sell the truck I'm sure his creditors can seize that too. We are not quite sure how we are goint to be able to bury him. He has a plot but its about 300 miles away. Any advice about all this would be appreciated. We live in Washington state.

R

roesler

My huble suggestions:
1) Look under Funeral and Memorial Societies of America's (FAMSA) website. They may be some help. If nothing else, they can probably tell you whether or not your state requires embalming.
2) If embalming isn't required, keep the truck! You're gonna need it. Build a coffin, put body in coffin, load in back of truck, take some shovels, drive the 300 miles, dig hole, put body in it. Sell truck, pay bills.
3) If the plot is in a cemetery, then you may have some problems as they have (expensive) requirements like "you have to have a grave liner" (major $$$).
4) Cremation and ash-spreading is always an option. The $$$ from the Govt might even cover it. See http://www.evergreen-washelli.com/text/qa73153114.htm
for more cremation info. The cost of the cremation itself is under $300 but it's moving the body, viewing services, storing the body, etc that up the cost another $500 or so.

There is nothing wrong with doing a burial the old-fashioned way, if your State allows it. FAMSA has a section called "Caring for your own dead". The Foxfire books (might be available in a library) can also help you. Also, if the deceased is a veteran, the Govt kicks in a small amount (I think $300?) towards burial. FAMSA can probably tell you about that too. Their website address is http://vbiweb.champlain.edu/famsa/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">