• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes due on home sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DJ37

In 1998 my mother and father-in-law deeded their house, located in another state, to me with the provision that could continue to live there for their lifetime. Upon either one of their deaths the other one will probably move. I will then put up the house for sale. The value of the house is about $100,000. I assume I will need a waver from the survivor in order to have a clear title.

I need answers to the following questions:

1. Should my father-in law have filled a gift tax form when he transferred his home to me?
2. When I sell the house what are the tax implications for capital gains, estate taxes, etc?
3. If capital gains taxes are due what is the cost basis used to calculate them?

I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

ALawyer

This is one an accountant should help with. But you would need a waiver to get clear title as most "life estates" allow the holder to either live there or rent it out.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">