• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parent adoption in ct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ctmom

What is the name of your state? connecticut
does my ex husband have to legally give up his parental rights of our 8 yr old son before my present husband can adopt? or can ex-husband just agree to adoption without there being 2 proceedures.

enjay

The biological father has to legally relinquish his parental rights. He can't merely agree to the adoption.

C

ctmom

so that would be two seperate actions ? He says he will not initiate action however he will not fight it if i do. does it matter who initiates

Seanscott

Your husband has to file a petition to adopt with your consent. Shortly after the filing, your ex will be given the option to consent or contest the adoption.

Yes, the termination of parental rights and the adoption are two separate issues. In our stepparent adoption case, the final decision on both was taken care of in one court with one judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">