• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce from a foreign spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paige0409

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I need a divorce from a native of the Dominican Republic. He is currently residing there and because his request for permanent residency, filed through me, was denied, travel to this country to participate in a hearing would be difficult. The divorce will be uncontested and does not involve property or children. My question is regarding filing for divorce when one spouse is out of the country. Am I simply able to mail necessary paperwork to him and have him return them or are there specific regulations about conducting this ("being served" if this is indeed necessary when both parties are in aggreement) over country lines?

O

OSNNG2L

paige0409 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio
I need a divorce from a native of the Dominican Republic. He is currently residing there and because his request for permanent residency, filed through me, was denied, travel to this country to participate in a hearing would be difficult. The divorce will be uncontested and does not involve property or children. My question is regarding filing for divorce when one spouse is out of the country. Am I simply able to mail necessary paperwork to him and have him return them or are there specific regulations about conducting this ("being served" if this is indeed necessary when both parties are in aggreement) over country lines?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depending upon where you two were married is going to make the difference. If you were married in the states then how did he get here in the first place to marry you? Sounds kind of impossible to me and if you two married that would make him legally eligible to come into the united states. Your best bet would be to contact someone Immagration and ask them their policies.

Cause if you were married in the states then he should be allowed to come back temporarily to settle the divorce issue, but if you got married in their country then you are bound by their rules in which then you would most likely have to go there...Its best to check into this either with our government or their government depending upon where you got married.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help than that...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">