• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Don't know where to start

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Auburnlass

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

My husband of 5 years left a year ago this month and I have not heard from him since. He is a drug addict and living on the streets, but still in this area. We have no children together, but I have three from a previous marriage. I am on SSI and can barely afford the cost of getting a divorce, much less hiring an attorney, so I wanted to see if I could file on my own on the grounds of desertion. I have checked and the time requirement for divorce on the grounds of desertion is one year. The Court House could not give me any information as to what I need to do, because it would be offering me legal advice, she said. I don't even know how to start or what I will need. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me as to what I should to do to begin. I do not expect him to contest or even show up, for that matter. Thanks for your help.

J

jamie_bechke

i just went through kinda the same thing except i left him he was a drug addict and was abusive to me and our children. check to see if they have legal aid in your state thats what i had to do. i went through legal aid they got me a lawyer because he never showed up for court. i just went yesterday for my divorce thank god finally after a year. the clerks office is the place that gave me the number for legal aid here in my state but have you tried looking up legal aid in your state?? well if i can think of any thing else to help you i'll let you know.

A

Auburnlass

Thank you for your reply

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I've tried Legal Aid and they cannot help me. In Mississippi, you have to meet certain criteria to be eligible for their help.
1. Still be in an active abusive situation......which I wasn't, because he was no longer there.
2. Have children between us....which I don't. My children are not his....they are from my first marriage.

I am very glad that you were finally able to get something done, however.

Thanks again for the reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">