• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heirs Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shaftedintexas

My grandparents passed away more than 6 yrs ago, and my father is the executor of the will. At first My sister and I were told that we would recieve our share of the will in 6 months or so. Well, 6 yrs later, we haven't seen a dime. My Dad's children all have new cars, whatever they want. And when I ask my Dad about it, he tells me that it is tied up over sale of the house. Which is a crock. What I want to know is what steps do I need to take to find out the content of the will, disbursement, and what happened to our share. Any advice would be welcome. As you may be able to tell, there is no love lost between my Dad and I, so I am willing to do whatever it takes to see that we get whatever it is that my Grandparents wanted us to have.

dmode101

Tell your dad that if the estate is still open that you want an inventory and accounting of all assets and disbursments. Most state statutes provide for these upon request. You'll have to check your state's procedure.

------------------
Jeffrey R. Gottlieb, Attorney at Law
http://www.illinoisestateplan.com
This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

S

shaftedintexas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by illinoisestateplan.com:
Tell your dad that if the estate is still open that you want an inventory and accounting of all assets and disbursments. Most state statutes provide for these upon request. You'll have to check your state's procedure.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>How do I do this without speaking to my Dad. Can't I just contact the courthouse there in Houston Texas for the info. My father won't give me anything.

dmode101

Well, you can check with the court to see if it is has been filed. If not, you may be able to file a petition with the court to require your dad to cough one up.

------------------
This response is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

S

shaftedintexas

Will do, I'm pretty sure that it was filed. But there is another twist on this. 1/2 the assets were to be divided between my sister and myself, and the other half to another family member. The other family member has since passed away, so I'm not sure what that does to his share. It's not so much the money, as it is the principle. Thank you so much for the advice.

dmode101

If the other family memeber passed away after dad's death, then that share will go that family member's estate. The only exception is if the other fam meber died w/i a survivorship clause period, usually 90 or 180 days after death.

------------------

S

shaftedintexas

Well, thank you for the info. I will definitely be looking into this. I just wasn't sure if that was public information. But, I do feel that I am entitled to see the will, as I was listed as an heir. So, I guess that I should contact the courts now to see where to go from here. Again, thanks for everything

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">