• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Dad's savings and car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wtdeer

My dad passed away last week and my mom is having trouble with his savings account and car. Both were in his name. He did leave a will naming mom beneficery. But his life ins. didn't cover all of the funeral expenses so my mom needs the money in the savings account and have the car tranferred into her name. The bank says that they just can't transfer the account into her name. I asked her who was the attorney who did dad's will and she said it was someone at a bank where they did business. What does she have to do to get this taken care of?? She lives in KY.

P

peter

Well its gonna take some time, you need to get a lawyer and file the proer paper with probate dept, then the lawyer will present the proper paperwork,to the bank...

No one talks about dying, and how to plan for it, so not having enough life insurance, he should have been cremated, and saved a few thousand.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wtdeer:
My dad passed away last week and my mom is having trouble with his savings account and car. Both were in his name. He did leave a will naming mom beneficery. But his life ins. didn't cover all of the funeral expenses so my mom needs the money in the savings account and have the car tranferred into her name. The bank says that they just can't transfer the account into her name. I asked her who was the attorney who did dad's will and she said it was someone at a bank where they did business. What does she have to do to get this taken care of?? She lives in KY.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wtdeer:
My dad passed away last week and my mom is having trouble with his savings account and car. Both were in his name. He did leave a will naming mom beneficery. But his life ins. didn't cover all of the funeral expenses so my mom needs the money in the savings account and have the car tranferred into her name. The bank says that they just can't transfer the account into her name. I asked her who was the attorney who did dad's will and she said it was someone at a bank where they did business. What does she have to do to get this taken care of?? She lives in KY.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Here's a clue . . . in the event of death, and problems with a Will and the property being given away, what "public entity" do you think has the "authority" to issue "orders"?

That's right. A court. Your Mom needs to file the Will in a Probate proceeding, and to obtain the Court's orders to allow her access to all property and accounts in his name alone.

See a Probate Attorney as soon as possible.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">