• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where to find a copy of a Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lostinGI

My grandfather passed away earlier this year. My Grandmother did not like what was written in my grandfather's Will and tore it up. They still have not been to probate court and are selling everything off as fast as they can. Our problem is that my Grandfather lead us to believe that he left the house to us. Where can we get a hold of a copy of the Will (should it be on record with the court house?) We do not know what the attorneys name is. Do we have any rights in finding out if Grandpa did leave the house to us?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lostinGI:
My grandfather passed away earlier this year. My Grandmother did not like what was written in my grandfather's Will and tore it up. They still have not been to probate court and are selling everything off as fast as they can. Our problem is that my Grandfather lead us to believe that he left the house to us. Where can we get a hold of a copy of the Will (should it be on record with the court house?) We do not know what the attorneys name is. Do we have any rights in finding out if Grandpa did leave the house to us?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Unless you sue Grandma, and she admits to tearing up the Will, there' virtually no way to determine if there was a copy. Trying to locate the attorney who prepared the Will, if he/she is even still alive, is like looking for a needle in the proverbial "haystack". A Will is not filed with any court until a "Probate" proceeding is filed. Doesn't look like Grandma will be starting one of those anytime soon. If you were to start such a proceeding, she'd claim that he died without a Will, and everything would go to her anyway.

Sorry, but you're out of luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

P

peter

Grandpa had a mistress,or an Illegitimate child..... thats why grandma tore it up!

I never heard anyone do anything that stupid in my life, the only recourse is to find the mistress or child , or to see if grandma has altzheimers, and commit her before she gives everything away to the hare krishnas!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">