• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom died. I'm living in her home.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jessica Gray

I've lived with Mom for 11 years. She died and I am still living in her mobile home with my 9 year old son. Can her creditors put a lien on this home to retrieve money due them and make me leave by forcing the sale of the home? Can I keep paying the mortgage and remain living here? Help! Don't want to be homeless. She wanted me to have this home. No will.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jessica Gray:
I've lived with Mom for 11 years. She died and I am still living in her mobile home with my 9 year old son. Can her creditors put a lien on this home to retrieve money due them and make me leave by forcing the sale of the home? Can I keep paying the mortgage and remain living here? Help! Don't want to be homeless. She wanted me to have this home. No will.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Assuming you are an "only child", you need to hire an attorney to file a Probate Petition to have you named as the Administrator and to settle your Mom's entire estate. It makes no difference that Mom died without a Will. If you are "next in line" then the home needs to be put into your name - - IMMEDIATELY - - and the only way to do that is with Probate court orders. If you leave it in Mom's name then, yes, the creditors will come after it to pay her debts, if there is any equity in the home. Of course, in order to have the home put into your name, you'll have to qualify with the lienholder as the new mortgagor. If you don't qualify, then the home will be sold, and the equity given to you.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">