• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ssantam

Not sure if this is the right bulletin board to post this question. Here goes.... My uncle and aunt recently passed away. At the time of their death, they both lived in Greece. During their stay in the USA they left a CD in both their names with no beneficiary. I have gone to the bank (NY - Citibank) with letters of instructions from attorneys in Greece along with a certified legal copy of both wills. I have asked the bank to follow the lawyers instructions. The bank has stated that they can not follow the instructions without a Ancillary (?) letter. The bank stated that I could get this at any local county courthouse. Well, I've tried two local courthouse and neither knows what I'm talking about. Is this something I can do on my own or is a lawyer needed. I would prefer to do it on my own. Really do not have the funds to hire a attorney. Any assistance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by ssantam (edited August 17, 2000).]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

The following is based upon California law; however, the thrust is the same in all jurisdictions of the United States, and is written here to give you an understanding for the need by the Bank to receive Ancillary Letters of Administration - - which are "instructions" from a court in your jurisdiction, which the Bank can follow. Foreign instructions are of no value to the Bank, and could cause the Bank to be liable in the future. Therefore, American letters of administration are needed.

Circumstances requiring ancillary administration: "Ancillary administration" may be required in either of two cases: (a) when a probate is opened in California, but decedent has left property in another jurisdiction (state or country); or (b) when a probate is opened in another jurisdiction, but the out-of-state decedent has left property in California. In the first case, the ancillary administration is in the other state ("ancillary" to the California probate); and in the second case, the ancillary administration is in California ("ancillary" to the other state's probate).

Rationale--"need" for secondary probates: Ancillary administration is really a "secondary" probate. The "primary" probate (also referred to as the "original" or "domiciliary" probate) is ordinarily opened in the state where decedent resided at death. But often a decedent leaves property in other states (or countries) as well. Those other states have jurisdiction to subject local assets to their own probate administration in order to protect local creditors; thus, one or more "secondary" probates may be opened in those other states (or countries) where decedent left property. [ Estate of Glassford (1952) 114 Cal.App.2d 181, 188-189, 249 P.2d 908, 912-913]

Nature of "ancillary jurisdiction": An ancillary probate is an independent estate administration. While conflict of laws rules may require the ancillary jurisdiction to defer to the law of decedent's domicile on questions of interpretation and validity of the will, and intestate succession and distribution, the ancillary court does not "derive" its jurisdiction from the court handling the primary probate.

The ancillary probate state has separate and distinct jurisdiction to retain the local assets within its borders until debts due local creditors and claimants are satisfied. It may make independent jurisdictional determinations regarding decedent's residence and right to local assets; and its orders affecting local assets and parties who appear in the ancillary proceeding are entitled to full faith and credit. [See Richards v. Blaisdell (1909) 12 Cal.App. 101, 110, 106 P 732, 736]

Basic scope of ancillary probate: Ancillary administration is usually narrower in scope and more abbreviated than an original (or "primary") estate administration. An ancillary administrator generally collects those assets of decedent within the state, pays local creditors and then, under court order, typically transfers the remaining property to the out-of-state representative administering the primary probate.

You need to hire a local Probate attorney.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">