• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parking rules

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mjan055

What is the name of your state? CA (Los Angeles)
Three months ago I moved into my apartment complex (gated), which has approximately 12,000 residents. Prior to signing my lease I asked the agent if parking was a problem, and the response was "not really, but you can rent a space." Taking no risks, I rented a space. After signing the lease I met with a parking agent who set me up with a spot. He showed me the spot on a map and I signed an additional parking agreement/lease for it.
To my dismay, the parking spot happens to be 1/5 of a mile away from my apartment. This is highly inconvenient for many reasons. In addition, the lease statement also mentions that during certain hours I must park my vehicle in its designated spot, and not any of the common, more conveniently located spots (which are literally 5ft. from the front door).
My main issue is that I feel my complex misleads its residents into thinking parking is not an issue, when in fact it is a major problem for nearly all those owning a vehicle there. After 6pm its virtually impossible to find a spot and one can literally spend an hour looking before giving up and parking illegally (there is definately not enough parking spots to accomidate all the residents with vehicles). The complex is constantly issuing parking tickets. I can't help but feel that the complex is profiting off its residents frustration. This leads to 2 questions I would appreciate to have answered:
1. I understand that in the parking agreement I must park in my designated spot during certain times, but is this something that is allowed to be put into an agreement?
2. Are there rules for apartment complexes in regards to providing adequate parking?
Thanks for your time.

racer72

It is private property, the owners/management can do as they please. Sounds like a good money making proposition. If you don't like the rules, move.

HomeGuru

Writer, in addition, it was your responsiblity to verify the actual location of the parking area prior to signing the written lease agreement. Similarly, if you signed a lease on an apartment sight unseen, you take the same responsibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">