• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

twats

My dad recently passed away from Lung Ca. There is an active case suing asbestos companies in NY. It is scheduled to go to trial in November.

His death was faster then expected. In the meantime, he had been divorced from my mom for about 6 yrs. They were married for 43 yrs. There are 4 living children and he was remarried.

My question...Once he and my "stepmother" found out that there could be a large sum of money involved in this case, he changed his will. Initially it stated that "all assests be divided equally" between his children and current wife. In May of this year when his CA progressed, he changed it to read that "2/3 of the award to go to my wife, the rest be divided evenly between my children" I just found this out today and am hurt. I am 43 yrs. old and disabled. At the time of the progression of his illness he was on some very potent medication. I should also tell you that his wife is an alcholic who has used older men like this before. She has received hundreds of thousands of dollars in her lifetime, which she gambled and drank away. I feel that he was pushed into changing his will. She already is receiving 12,500 from a life insurance policy that was paid for by my mother since 1956. He had changed that beneficiary in the past.
Is there anything we (his children) can do to have the original will reinstated? It was changed in May and he passed away Aug. 1.
This is tearing all of us apart since this woman has only known him for 6 yrs and because of her history. Please help.

Thanks...

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by twats:
My dad recently passed away from Lung Ca. There is an active case suing asbestos companies in NY. It is scheduled to go to trial in November.

His death was faster then expected. In the meantime, he had been divorced from my mom for about 6 yrs. They were married for 43 yrs. There are 4 living children and he was remarried.

My question...Once he and my "stepmother" found out that there could be a large sum of money involved in this case, he changed his will. Initially it stated that "all assests be divided equally" between his children and current wife. In May of this year when his CA progressed, he changed it to read that "2/3 of the award to go to my wife, the rest be divided evenly between my children" I just found this out today and am hurt. I am 43 yrs. old and disabled. At the time of the progression of his illness he was on some very potent medication. I should also tell you that his wife is an alcholic who has used older men like this before. She has received hundreds of thousands of dollars in her lifetime, which she gambled and drank away. I feel that he was pushed into changing his will. She already is receiving 12,500 from a life insurance policy that was paid for by my mother since 1956. He had changed that beneficiary in the past.
Is there anything we (his children) can do to have the original will reinstated? It was changed in May and he passed away Aug. 1.
This is tearing all of us apart since this woman has only known him for 6 yrs and because of her history. Please help.

Thanks...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to hire an estate attorney to file your complaints with the Probate Court. 1) he was not of sound mind due to his medical condition, heavy drugs etc. at the time he changed his will and he was coerced, under duress etc. 2) the wife has been a proven and documented golddigger employing premeditated strategies and continuing MO to usurp assets from estates of previous husbands.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">