• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation and Divorce, North Carolina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hockeytown

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am wondering what is required to persue a divorce in North Carolina. I have read that both parties have to agree that they have been living apart for the period of a year. Do I need legal separation papers to prove this occurence? Does it just make it cleaner to have the papers or is it a requirement? We also wrote up a separation agreement. Does it have to be notarized or is the signature of any witness go enough.

Thanks.

M

MaggieK

North Carolina does require that a couple live separate and apart for one year. A separation agreement is for the good of both parties and any minor child. It must cover all required issues and so it is best not to write one up yourself unless you have a knowledge and understanding of the law. Both parties signatures must be notarized. I lived and divorced in NC and I am curious as to why its citizens have not brought the divorce laws into this century!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">