• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dbanksburgess

My husband has inherited residential property in the District of Columbia from an aunt, he has a son by a previous marriage; my question is, if my husband should die before me, or if there should be a divorce, how would the property be dispersed? In the event of his death, would the property fall to me unconditionally, with the right to sell, or do as I see fit, and in the event of a divorce, would the property be considered as belonging to both of us and divided accordingly?

Or in the event of his death, would I only be entitled to the use of the property until my death and then it passes to his son, and in the event of a divorce would the property be solely my husband's?

Thank you for your advice.

[This message has been edited by dbanksburgess (edited August 18, 2000).]

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dbanksburgess:
My husband has inherited residential property in the District of Columbia from an aunt, he has a son by a previous marriage; my question is, if my husband should die before me, or if there should be a divorce, how would the property be dispersed? In the event of his death, would the property fall to me unconditionally, with the right to sell, or do as I see fit, and in the event of a divorce, would the property be considered as belonging to both of us and divided accordingly?

Or in the event of his death, would I only be entitled to the use of the property until my death and then it passes to his son, and in the event of a divorce would the property be solely my husband's?

Thank you for your advice.

[This message has been edited by dbanksburgess (edited August 18, 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Disposition of the property would be predicated on how title to the property is held and/or the instructions in the will and State laws. If you provide how title to the property is now currently held, a more specifc answer could be given.

D

dbanksburgess

I'm not certain if this addresses your question, but the title is held by my husband, the house was paid off by him thru his deceased aunt's estate. I'm afraid I must confess ignorance of District of Columbia law. As far as wills, are you speaking of his aunt's will or my husbands?

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">