• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister vs Brother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pj

Both names are on the deed of a single home. Sister took out a loan on the property, but was denied because brother's name was on the deed and also brother had declare bankruptcy some years ago. In order to get the loan, brother has to turn over the need just in my name, but he is refusing, instead wants me to buy him out. But yet I'm paying the taxes and water bill on the house and brother is not contributing a dime. What are my legal rights or do I have any legal rights as far as the property is concern. Can I change the locks on the house and don't allow my brother to come in or what steps should I really takes in the matter. Winter is just around the corner and I have to get a heating system in the house & yes he is aware of it, but just don't seem to care. He has another, which he is comfortable living in. Please advise. Thank you!

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pj:
Both names are on the deed of a single home. Sister took out a loan on the property, but was denied because brother's name was on the deed and also brother had declare bankruptcy some years ago. In order to get the loan, brother has to turn over the need just in my name, but he is refusing, instead wants me to buy him out. But yet I'm paying the taxes and water bill on the house and brother is not contributing a dime. What are my legal rights or do I have any legal rights as far as the property is concern. Can I change the locks on the house and don't allow my brother to come in or what steps should I really takes in the matter. Winter is just around the corner and I have to get a heating system in the house & yes he is aware of it, but just don't seem to care. He has another, which he is comfortable living in. Please advise. Thank you!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since your brother is part owner you can not lock him out. Can you qualify for a loan on your own and buy him out? If not maybe you need to sell the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">