• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is it tax fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

newmombecca

What is the name of your state? louisiana

is it tax fraud if you are married and you file single??

the irs web site says if you are married, even seperated you must still file married joint or married seperate... but my question is.. is this tax fraud?

and can someone report you for it? what would the penalty be???

thanks

K

KCMR

Yes. Are you married? Do you know you are married?

It would be nice if all of us married folks could file single wouldn't it?

Last edited:
N

newmombecca

yes, we are married. but seperated. not divorced yet. my soon to be ex husband filed single. and im going to file and im filling married but seperate. so when they put two and two togther i think they will notice and he might get in to trouble. do you think he will?
i had some questions about myself claiming our son and i realized he had filed single.

what now????

he has already filed. im just finishing mine up.

K

kam2051

In that case, you wouldn't file single - you'd file Married Filing Seperately. Because your soon-to-be-ex does it doesn't mean you can, as you'd both be in a bit of hot water if you get caught. Let him suffer if he gets caught - don't go down with him!

N

newmombecca

im going to file married but seperate. im not filing single. he did. i just wanted to know about his end, i just found out he never told his cpa we were married. he has already recieved his refund. so does his cpa have a legal obligation to report to the irs that he is infact married, now that the cpa knows????? am i going to get into any trouble for this????? what would the penality be??? and would they audit him?????? or me??????

Last edited:
K

kam2051

First, this is just my humble opinion - I'd go to a different CPA - one who can look after your interests without a conflict of interest and ask him/her those very same questions. I would also contact an atty (or a tax atty if you think it will help).

N

newmombecca

i dont use his cpa...... i dont even use a cpa.
i do my own taxes.

just wanted to make sure i wouldint get into any hot water, just for being married to him.... while he continues to lie cheat and steal his way through life.... if you know what i mean.

hopefully this divorce wont drag on long.

i just dont want to be audited, although i have nothing to hide, it would be a pain.

just needed some advice, and answers to my questions... if anyone can help... it would be appreicated. thanks for your help.

abezon

Your options are MFS or head of household if you qualify. HH = you paid more than 1/2 the cost of keeping up your home (rent, mortgage, utils, food, etc), your child lived with you for over 1/2 the year, and you did not live with your husband at any time after June 30, 2002. If all those apply, file HH. If you qualify for HH, you also qualify to claim EIC. If you're MFS, you can't claim EIC.

You can notify the IRS that he was still married on 12/31/2002, if you wish to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">