• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adoption by future step parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tiag

What is the name of your state? NJ

I am getting married next year and my fiance wants to adopt my 4 year old son. His father has been out of his life sine he was 11 months old. i just wanted to know what are steps that I can begin to take to get the process started? His father and I share custody but he never signed the birth certificate, he only signed the parentage certificate.

djohnson

First you will need to be married so long. Then your new husband would have to petition the court to adopt. The childs father would have to be contacted and given the option to agree or disagree. If he disagrees then you will have to show proof of why you are requesting. If this is good enough reason then the judge can terminate his parental rights and new hubby is free to adopt. If father is not on birth certificate then not only will you have to notify him but you will have to establish paternity by testing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">