• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Big Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CaseyinOhio

What is the name of your state? Ohio. Here is my problem. My boyfriend and I have lived together for 5 years. 6 months ago, I built a new home, the house is in my name. I want to end the relationship and get him out of my house. When I ask him to leave he will not leave (says he will when he is good and ready).

We currently have a joint checking account and I make more than twice what he does. We do not have any type of cohabitation agreement.

I am curious as to what my rights are legally as to getting him out of my home and what are his rights? He has shared in the expenses of the house. Any advice would be appreciated.

VeronicaGia

Give him a 30 day written notice that he has to vacate the premises. If he doesn't you will have to go through the formal eviction process. The local courthouse can help you with this.

You will also want to either remove your name from the joint checking account or get him to go with you to get it closed. Don't put any more money in there.

Problem with boyfriend

You must serve a 30 day written notice on him to vacate the premises. You must do this by certified mail, and leaving a copy of same at the premises where he can plainly find it. After this is done, then you may file the forcible entry and detainer action against him in your local municipal court. As to the bank account, I would clean it out, and not put anything else in it. Under Ohio law, each party to a joint and survivorship bank account owns its entire contents, and may withdraw same at any time without action by the other.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">