• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about accidentally paying state taxes i dont owe?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hellokitty

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I am a adult dependent of my parents. Last week i was going to pay State taxes that they owe through Official payments corperation online to help them out online since my mother cant renew her cosmotology license without first paying state taxes they owe. Anyway before i knew what happened i WAS the one who was charged. My SS# Credit card information everything instead of theirs. My computer was on auto complete where it fills in information you have used before and also we found out the next day it also had a virus. So therefore I paid 39.00 in state taxes i dont owe. I do have a bank account but it was less than $3000 for 2002. I called official payments corperation and they are going to reverse the charge but first this has to go to the state of Oklahoma for approval and they will explain to the state what happened and why i want a reversal. My parents have been audited in the past and they are afraid it may happen again to them or me. Can a dependent be audited? I do odd jobs but dont have a full time job. They pay more than 50% of my living and personal expenses as well. The state is very picky and they are afraid they might make this worse than it really is. So far Official Payments corperation hasnt heard back from the state? Any thoughts on this? Any comments would be appreciated.

abezon

You'll get your money back, but you might want to pay their taxes while you wait for the tax board to send you your refund. As far as the state is concerned, their bill is unpaid until your payment is credited to their account or until the state receives payment on your parents' account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">