• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment & Common Law Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cabradbury

What is the name of your state? Washington

My former boyfriend and I established a common law marriage in Texas. We both now live in Seattle, WA and have ended our relationship. We have no children nor do we own any joint property. Is it possible to have the marriage annulled and, if so, can we file in Washington or must it be done in Texas? Also, what are the criteria for having it annulled?

Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cabradbury said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

My former boyfriend and I established a common law marriage in Texas. We both now live in Seattle, WA and have ended our relationship. We have no children nor do we own any joint property. Is it possible to have the marriage annulled and, if so, can we file in Washington or must it be done in Texas? Also, what are the criteria for having it annulled?

Thanks!

My response:

Assuming you've even met the criteria for a Common Law marriage when living together in Texas, Washington State will recognize your union as a regular marriage.

Since you have undoubtedly NOT met the elements required for an "annulment", then you're going to need a standard divorce.

Speak to a local Family Law attorney. Most give free initial consultations.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">