• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSA-1099 Survivors Benefits for kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aquintero

What is the name of your state? CA

My two stepsons receive survivors benefits (SSA-1099). The total last year for both was about $22,000, no taxes were taken out. Is this money taxable to us, or do they need to file seperate?

abezon

They put the SSA money on their own returns, but it's not taxable unless they had significant other income. So, no, it's probably not taxable to them.

A

aquintero

So what happens if I filed my return including there money?(I owe over $7000 because of including this money) Can I update our tax returns? What form do they need to file? 1040? If they each received close to $12,000, they won't need to pay any taxes? Can my husband and I still claim them as dependents?

J

jnieporte

You should amend your return and under explanation put Tax payer filed dependents SSI or words to that effect. But you might check to see if they owe tax on it. Did they have other income besides that etc. They may have to file a return. Definitely amend

abezon

Amend your return using form 1040x. Simply remove the SS income & state that you deleted social security benefits received by minor children.

They don't need to worry about filing unless they had over $4700 in earned income, OR over $700 in investment income (interest, stock profits, etc.).

SS benefits are not considered money the dependent contributes to his/her own support, so you can disregard that $$ when applying the dependency tests.

J

jnieporte

One minor item and I say minor because OH doesn't tax SS benefits. If your state does you will have to amend the state also but that is only if any carried over from the federal.

A

aquintero

Thansk to everyone that answered.
The kids didn't have any other income, so I guess they don't need to file, they only received there SSI benefits. I have amended my last years 1040, and I need to wait 6 weeks before I can amend this years tax form to remove there benefits as part of our income. California doesn't tax these benefits, so I guess I won't need to amend there forms.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">