• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can divorce papers be sealed "after the fact"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spurt68

What is the name of your state? TN

Divorce was final in Feb 2000... I recently became aware that the papers are public info-thereby accessible to anyone (I realize I should have known or asked before now). Anyway, my SS# is listed on the papers (as well as the SS# of my ex). Is there any possibility of having the papers sealed or that info removed and if so-how? Thanks for any input.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

spurt68 said:
What is the name of your state? TN

Divorce was final in Feb 2000... I recently became aware that the papers are public info-thereby accessible to anyone (I realize I should have known or asked before now). Anyway, my SS# is listed on the papers (as well as the SS# of my ex). Is there any possibility of having the papers sealed or that info removed and if so-how? Thanks for any input.

My response:

No, the records cannot be sealed. However, you can write and file a motion to the court for an order that certain information be "redacted" from the records. Your basis for your request would, of course, be the real potential for identity theft, and that you wish to be protected from such potential. Your former wife will have to join in the motion if she, too, wishes relief and protection.

Then, all you have to do is wait, and hope that the court agrees with you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">