• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claimed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stumprunner2003

i live in north carolina, i have recently found out that a (so called friend) has been claiming my children for years on his income taxes. my children have been reciveing ss and ssi for years now, just this passed tear he has added me to his list. this has been going on since 1997, is he right in doing this? is there anything i can do to stop this or report him to someone to stop it?

abezon

If you meet all the dependency tests, he can claim you whether you want him to or not. He has to provide over 50% of your support, you have to live with him for the entire tax year, your gross income must be under $3,000, you aren't filing a joint return with anyone else, etc. If you don't meet those tests, file a return now claiming yourself & the kids. The IRS will catch on to his fraudulent claims quickly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">