• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gift tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

flahbomb

What is the name of your state? florida
My ex boyfriend bought me a house, ...paid for it in full with a cashiers check 2 years ago. My name alone is on the deed. He is now being audited and states I could be liable to pay income tax on his gift to me unless I sign a motgage to be paid to him (plus interest ) at my death or he will have to pay a gift tax. What percent tax is gift tax. Could I have to pay income tax on it?

abezon

Where'd he get that idea?? He doesn't have to pay tax on the gift unless he had alread given away $600,000 when he bought you the house. He simply needs to file a gift tax return for the year he gave you the house. Do NOT, under any circumstances, sign a "mortgage". This is just a way for him to 'take back' the gift by making you pay for it. At the very least, talk to an estate lawyer AND a property lawyer about the effects such a "mortgage" would have on your estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">