• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sampat1

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My husband and i divorced in 1997,we remarried 5 months
later.he took my name off the house,and gave me 10,000.
so when we remarried i brought back almost 6.000. so now
he says the house is his,what i need to know is do i have any legal rights to the house.as were getting divorced again.

Last edited:

N

nowpastdue

I am NOT an attorney.

#1 What, if anything, did you personally invest when you and hubby bought the house originally?
#2 How long were you married? During the marriage did you work outside the home?
#3 What were the terms of your divorce in 1997 as to the house? Were you granted any portion of the property the two of you accumulated during the marriage?
#5 You stated that you were remarried in 1997, that "he took my name off the house" and paid me $10,000. Exactly how did he gain sole ownership? Did you sign a quit claim deed or som other documentation. This signing and paying I take it was after the remarriage and not in anticipation of remarriage?
#6 You state you brought back almost $6,000. Was this moneypaid back on the house or just put into the marital checking account? Apparently, after returning the almost $6,000 you neglected to have your name put back on the deed?
#7 Have you retained an attorney for your divorce yet? I take it there are no children involved?
#8 If it were left solely to you to come up with a solution, what would you do?

S

sampat1

nowpastdue said:
I am NOT an attorney.

#1 What, if anything, did you personally invest when you and hubby bought the house originally?
#2 How long were you married? During the marriage did you work outside the home?
#3 What were the terms of your divorce in 1997 as to the house? Were you granted any portion of the property the two of you accumulated during the marriage?
#5 You stated that you were remarried in 1997, that "he took my name off the house" and paid me $10,000. Exactly how did he gain sole ownership? Did you sign a quit claim deed or som other documentation. This signing and paying I take it was after the remarriage and not in anticipation of remarriage?
#6 You state you brought back almost $6,000. Was this moneypaid back on the house or just put into the marital checking account? Apparently, after returning the almost $6,000 you neglected to have your name put back on the deed?
#7 Have you retained an attorney for your divorce yet? I take it there are no children involved?
#8 If it were left solely to you to come up with a solution, what would you do?

S

sampat1

We bought the house together,we were married 22
years,then we divorced,as we grew apart.But now we have
been back together 5 years,and its right back where it was.
all together we've been married 27 years.I always worked
out side of the home,I was a convienent store manager.
Yes I signed some papers at the bank,but was so glad to
get rid of him,that i never read them.The money that I
bought back was put in the home,as we did a lot of remodling,
No,there is not any kids under 18,but we have one thats 23.
And no I haven't contacted a lawyer yet,as I don't know
what to do. He treats me like dirt,and says he loves me.
What would you do.?

N

nowpastdue

I am NOT an attorney.

Let me answer your last question first?
If you are speaking of the house I would ask for 1/2 of the equity that ya'll have in the house less $4,000. If you are asking what I would do about the marriage I can only say that personally I have always felt that a couple that cannot get along should get apart as fast as they can. That includes those with children below 18.

I would reccomend that you never sign anything without reading AND understanding the ramifications of the intent of the document.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">