• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minor's rights to have parent present

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

megabyte67

What is the name of your state? Indiana
three police cares and an ambulance came to my house looking for my nephew, because someone called and said he was going to kill himself. i told them that he was fine and his father would be here within 5 min. and they would have to wait to talk with him then.
they refused, were very aggressive, acting like I was hiding his body, and was going to storm my house to get him if I wouldn't bring him out. i was trying to protect his rights as a minor to have his father here, which is what his father wanted. i had no choice. they were so zeolous, i didn't want to bring him out for fear they were going to cart him off in an ambulance, and there would be nothing i could do, because i'm not his legal gaurdiang. the phone call was a misunderstanding, and even the mother called the dispatch and told them everything was fine. they wanted my driver's licence, now i'm in fear they are going to try to charge me with something for trying to protect my nephew's rights. what do i do? and does he have those rights?

racer72

The police have the right to talk and see minors without parental permission. Parental rights do not take effect till the time a minor is arrested. And if the minor understands his Miranda rights, the parents do not have to be allowed to witness the questioning either.

M

megabyte67

o.k., then did i have the right to make them wait until his father showed up?

M

megabyte67

obstructing them from what? There was no crime? I'm confused. On this site, I found that a minor does not have to answer any questions if he wants to wait until a parent got there. All he has to tell them is his name and address. They could just break into my house without a warrant and grab him? That's what they were threatening to do. And, they lied and said that it was his mother that called, when it wasn't. I don't understand. Basically what you are saying is that no one has rights in this town.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">