• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I have turned this guy in?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fieldtech03

What is the name of your state? FL

Well, it may be too late now, but just thought I'd get some other opinions on this...

I have an ex-employer who is notorious for screwing with taxes. He's been audited with huge fines before, and he keeps all his books on paper out of the office.

Last year he withheld a certain (normal) amount from 2 employees' wages, but underreported on their W-2's - to the tune of several thousand dollars (it was a small company 5 employees - and all paychecks were written by hand with no witholding statement). He then offered one of the employees the opportunity to borrow the money he (the employee) now owed the IRS (due to his witholding being massively underreported on the W-2), which he could then pay back over the next year.

I know - whoa. Hey! Stealing from the government? Why not cap it off by stealing from an employee!

Well, threats about reporting to the IRS got the situation straightened out.

I quit last year (for this among other reasons) and this year another ex-employee and myself didn't get our W-2s. Again we threatend to call in the IRS. The company swore up and down that that it was because we have moved and they were sent to our old addresses. Of course, I moved over a year before quitting, and the other employee had lived in their current location for many many years (the company did have our 'new' addresses. I should also mention that both of us had received certified from the company at the correct addressess well after our employment had ended.

We both chose to let this go, since it marked the last of our involvement with this...person, and we did after all get our W-2's (correct witholding this time!)before April 15th (although over 1 month past the deadline).

I assume that his practices will catch up to him agian, as they did before. Would anyone have done differently, and if so, what would be the procedure to follow?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">