• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce - property ownerhip

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

altjimwilson

What is the name of your state? MO

I have a friend who is getting divorced. He says that the house was in his name before he was married. He firmly believes that this house will remain his after the divorce - with his wife having no say in the matter.

From all that I know of this (not much having never divorced thank God)....:) but I didn't think it worked that way. I thought that after marriage everything becomes "ours".

There was no premarital agreements or anything like that.

Thanks for your always good advice!

VeronicaGia

He may be right but an attorney would be a better person to ask. How long were they married? Is the house still solely in his name?

A

altjimwilson

Yes, the house was in his name before they were married. They were married about 4 years.
Thanks!

B

brake pedal

from an attorney..

When I got a divorce in 1988,i told my attorney that a mobile home did not need to be listed in the dissolution agreement, as it was titled in my parents’ name.
He stated it would have to be included, as it was the marital home, and that she has an interest in it.

Take it or leave it that’s what he said, it was hard for me to believe. Apply this as you see fit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">