• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

locked out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

branjord

What is the name of your state? kentucky
we agreed jointly to get a divorce, that i would
get another place to live, that i would be the one
to file, and that all our assets and debts would be divided equal. after living alone a few months i realized i could not make the bills on my income and he had a big access so i decided to ask for maintenance. he got mad and got a lawyer who told him to change the locks on the door so that i could not take any more of my agreed upon item out of the house and i have been denied access. he said i could come get my stuff if he was there. he is a batterer and has a violent temper and i do not want to be in the same room with him. can he legally lock me out of my house since my name is on the deed also. can i get a court order or something to make him let me in when he is not there. my lawyer has a list of all the things that we both agreed we would take from the marriage so i cannot take anything on the list that is not mine.:confused:

H

hopelessinCA

I don't believe he can legally lock you out, but your lawyer can help you in that situation..i.e file court orders, restraining orders..
Also clarification on property issues., just because you didnt buy it, doesnt necessarily mean it's not marital property.

Tell him/her to get cracking

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">