• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd possession charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fear4life

What is the name of your state? Wyoming

My soon to be ex husband was just picked up for possession of several ounces of marijuana and a charge concerning bringing it over state lines. He has no prior charges that are drug related except for possession of 2 grams of marijuana in which he did no time for, just paid a ticket. What are the chances that he will get prison time or is it actually possible he will only be put on probation??

JETX

"What are the chances that he will get prison time or is it actually possible he will only be put on probation??"
*** With any luck, yes on the prison and no on the probation.

Usually when these idiots don't learn with the first 'slap on the wrist', you have to give them a swift 2x4 to the head to get their attention.

Last edited:
N

nowpastdue

I am NOT an attorney.

A lot has to do with the specifics of his case.

#1 "several ounces". For personal consumption or enough to be trafficking?
#2 How was the drugs packaged? All in one bag or packaged for sale?
#3 What agency arrested him? State, local, or federal.
#4 Was he just stopped by chance on the highway or what were the circumstances? Was he being followed with some sort of prior knowledge on the part of the police?
#5 Was anyone else known to the police directly involved ? Meaning co-conspirators?
#6 What is his complete arrest record? You said he had "no prior charges that are drug related" leaving open the question if he had burglary, theft, assault, etc convictions/charges.
#7 Who brought the charges re;over state lines?

While I agree with the sentiment of the earlier post, I'd say (unless there is a lot more to the story) that he will likely get probation. Not that he deserves it and not that I like the idea. Just the way things are.

What is disconcerting to me is that the court system/judges are unable to see
the need for anything more than "a slap on the wrist" for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th,5th, and on appearance. Hand me that 2x4.

If I may be so bold to ask, if the writer, since he said soon to be ex, had any underlying reason, pro or con, to ask the questions.

F

fear4life

I do not have all the details of the situation myself. To answer your questions to the best of my knowledge....

#1 He had several ounces, nearly a pound.

#2 He had just picked the shipment up so it was all in one bag

#3 I am not sure the agency that arrested him

#4 He had been being watched for quite sometime

#5 There were other dealers along with him in the vehicle

#6 He had one possession charge for marijuana a few years ago but it was a small amount. Several tickets/arrests for driving under suspension and a few assault charges

#7 I am not sure if he is being charged here in Wyoming or in Colorado. The pick up was done in Colorado but he was busted after crossing Wyoming lines

I am female and let's just say I let some known information accidently slip, lol :)

N

nowpastdue

I am NOT an attorney.

Dealers.Pounds.Interstate.

Sounds like the feds might take this.

Hopefully your slip was to the police and they will be able to keep you out of this but I would imagine the "rat" hunt is on now by the dealers and their attorneys.

It may have seemed like a good idea at the time. Let us know in a year if you still feel the same way.

F

fear4life

Oh I'm not worried in the least. There is no way to connect me. I did it all anonymously. I've been in those situations before..guaranteed I know better!!!

C

christin gd

After reading this all that comes to mind . . . Why would you rat on all these dealers and put yourself in such danger?

N

nowpastdue

I am NOT an attorney.

Apparently this person is not above using the law to settle problems she does not wish to confront on her own. Read other threads she has posted.

F

fear4life

Problems that I can't confront on my own huh? None of you know anything about my life nor can you judge it before you have spent a day in my shoes. This man has held 13 inch blades to my throat, held a gun to my head, choked me to the point that I had fingerprint bruises around my throat! This man has threatened my life on several occassions, verbally abuses my children, and is always drugged up on pain pills (not prescription, just uses them for the high), coke, or marijuana. I DO NOT WANT THIS MAN AROUND ME OR MY CHILDREN! Heck yes I will resort to legal force to "not deal with the problem on my own".

stephenk

So again, why were you married to him for so long and why did you have kids with him?

No one needs to be in your shoes to realize the choices you made were bad ones and only you had the power to change your life early on and not bring kids into the mess.

Hopefully, your hubby will be put away for a long time and you can get away and start over with good choices.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">