• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes Owed??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MWTravel3

What is the name of your state? New York
I have a friend who was contacted by the IRS and told that he owed money from 1992. It was $475.00 then and $1775.00
now with penalties and interest. They told him they couldn't find him even though he has filed tax returns for every year since then and they had his address and Social Security number. Is this legitimate? Can they really do this after this amount of time?
Thank Much For Any Help!!!

H

happyme

i am going through the same thing. i filed my 92 taxes in 93 and that year the irs assessed my return and said i owe from a $9000 pension check. i gave all my paperwork (w2's, etc.) to a well-known tax prep. service to prepare my taxes. just last week the irs put a bank levy on my account and the bank sent me a photo copy of the levy. on it i noticed that they had my old (from 9 years ago) address. so i am assuming all these years the irs has been sending letters of demand payment to this address, as well as an intent to levy notice. what i have been reading on the web is that after 10 years from the date your taxes were assessed, the irs cannot legally collect taxes from you. the statute of limitations runs out for collection of past taxes. currently i am trying to find out from the irs when my were assessed so i can go that route. good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">