• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CAN child support services actually get a copy of my tax returns?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? IN
The ex wife is in GA.

Exactly what has to be done for the Child support services where my ex wife is to obtain a copy of my tax returns? and for how far back can they get them?

They requested these forms from me and I refused, since 1. I have my child and 2. It's none of my ex'es business how much I make. She has decided now that 10 years ago, when SHE had custody of my daughter, she didn't get the full per centage of my income she was (ahem) ENTITLED to. Since GA uses a per centage to base support payments on, she claims she didn't get the full per centage she was entitled to. She called the Senator and anyone else she could get to listen, and now the CSE wants all kinds of proof from me....

Can anyone help?

abezon

The court cannot get the returns from the IRS directly, but the judge can toss you in jail for contempt of court for refusing to produce them if so ordered. On what basis is she reopening this issue 10 years after the fact? If she suspected you were hiding assets, she should have requested that you produce returns back then. Try arguing that she waited too long to raise this issue. (It's called the doctrine of laches -- if one sleeps on one's rights, eventually one loses them.)

Hi. thanx for your reply. The "basis" for re-opning the issue, is that she is unemployed, recently married a man who is also unemployed, and this is the only way she could "possibly" get some cash. That's it. She's always said she has until our daughter is 18 to get "her money". What a joke, huh?

abezon

Well, since she's got the state working for her, you need to hire an attorney or your own to deal with them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">