• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

back taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Otiseliz

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My husband came off a bankrupcy last year. He owed the IRS money, and was making payments. The lawyer who set this up told my husband that he could stop making the payments to the IRS in January of 2002. We didn't hear anything else from this lawyer for a year, despite repeated phone calls. The lawyer finally contacted the IRS about closing the account. They are now claiming that my husband signed a document stating that he would replay the full amount. He doesn't recall signing it, and had been making payments over 10 years before the lawyer told him to stop. The Lawyer has requested a copy of the document. Now we cant' get ahold of this lawyer again. Is my husband in trouble for stopping the payments, and what can we do to get this attorney to do something. he insisted on cash in advance to do anything and he is the one that set up the account with the IRS.

abezon

Write the lawyer & tell him that if you don't hear from him within a week, you'll file a bar complaint. Write the IRS & ask them to send a copy of the paper to you. In general, a contract signed before you file BK is voided when you file.

O

Otiseliz

Thank you for the reply. We wanted to report him, but we weren't sure who we were supposed to report him too. THe information is very helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">