• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

biological fathers family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

al143

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My husband had a paternity test done which came back positive that he is the father of his child. The child is adopted and had wonderful parents. Now that my husbands family knows he is the father, they are trying to stay in contact with this child. To protect the child, we don't feel that my husbands family should have anything to do with the child. It will only make matters worse as the child grows older. Is there anything legally we can do to make sure his family does not have contact with the child?

nextwife

I'm a bit confused. This child already had been adopted and living with his parents. Your husband just discovered he is the biodad?

First, why is paternity establishment being done now? Seems rather late in the game and after the fact.

Second, why does his family know where this childs is and who the new family is? It is none of their business unless the parents and child want them to know.

What are the desires of the parents regarding their child? Do they want the biofamily, especially grandparents, etc to be in touch. This would be very confusing for a child, and children with seperation issues may develop further insecurities or fears that the "other family" is going to take them away. Mine was an orphanage child and would not deal well emoptionally with such a situation.

A

al143

He was tested after the adoption because his parents wanted to find out if he was the father so the child would know for medical reasons. The adopted parents paid for the test and were very relieved he did not want anything to do with the child. The biomom on the other hand, still sees the child and is in contact with my husbands family for no real reason other than to spite him. Since my husband does not want to make matters worse for the child and he has his parents (the adoptive parents) he signed the clause of terminating his parental rights. We want to make sure his family, namely his sister and parents, do not have contact with the child and they would not comply with that by just talking to them. So, I am trying to find out if anyone knows if there is any legal way to do that. Since he gave up all his rights, doesn't that include his family as well?

K

kam2051

Actually, if the family attempted to contact the agency or attorney who handled the matter, they will probably get shot down there. If you have a concern, I'd certainly share your concerns with the agency or attorney with whom the adoption went through.

Now, once the child is 18, I believe the birthparent only can request that the child is contacted to indicate they want to either share information, meet etc, and the child can refuse. I don't know about the extended family; all of my information is regarding birthparents and children.

Seanscott

You're right - when his rights were terminated, his blood relatives lost ALL rights to visitation. They have absolutely no right to contact this family, or even ask about the welfare of the child. The court sees them as nothing more than strangers. I have as much right as they do.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
However, if the adoptive parents permit the contact, there is nothing bio-dad can do to prevent it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">