• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gain from sale of rental property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LAS117

What is the name of your state? New York

I owned & lived in a condo for 5 years, got married & purchased a new home which we have lived in for the past 3 years. I kept the condo as a rental property because the RE market was sluggish 3 yrs ago. Now the market is great (yeah!) and I can sell it and make $40,000 profit. I want to use that $40,00 as a down payment on a vacation property or a second home. Can this type of transaction defer my capital gain if say I "rent out" the vacation property for more than 2 weeks per year or make my vacation property another investment property? What is the best way to avoid the capital gain (besides moving back in it for 2 years to re-establish it as a primary residence)?
Any other suggestions would be helpful and appreciated!

abezon

If you sell it right now, you'll still qualify under the 2/5 year rule. 3 years after you moved out, you no longer qualify & would have to move back in for a few months to requalify under the 2/5 eyar rule. You could then exclude the $40,000 gain. You will still have to recapture the depreciation allowed or allowable.

If you want to do a 1031 exchange, see an attorney. These are very complicated & require much i-dotting & t-crossing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">