• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana use by parents with kids having access

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? New York

If a parent smokes marijuana in the house and has a supply kept in the house where a child has access, can anything happen to the parent if the child smokes it? If their child smokes with their friends and their friends' parents find out, can they do anything about it? The children being referenced are 13 & 14 years old. I am not the parent that smokes but have found out about someone else and am curious to know if there are any legal consequences to the parents who have this stuff in their house, smoke it with the kids in the next room, and don't have it inaccessible.

H

hmmbrdzz

vinjoeana3 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

If a parent smokes marijuana in the house and has a supply kept in the house where a child has access, can anything happen to the parent if the child smokes it? If their child smokes with their friends and their friends' parents find out, can they do anything about it? The children being referenced are 13 & 14 years old. I am not the parent that smokes but have found out about someone else and am curious to know if there are any legal consequences to the parents who have this stuff in their house, smoke it with the kids in the next room, and don't have it inaccessible.
===================================

Can other parents do something about it? Oh my, yes. They can inform the authorities, file a complaint with the police, and the parents who have the marijuana are going to be up on all kinds of charges if it's investigated, and they'll also be investigated by CPS (child protective services). Totally irresponsible -- jail bait.

hmmbrdzz

The only reason I asked is because I spoke to someone who is a police officer and he said that the person would have to be caught with many pounds and even then would only get a fine. I figured there would have to be something done since minors are involved. The child involved happens to be my son, who when he visits his father's house, was doing these things. I found out and will not allow him to go there. I spoke to his father who said he will get it out of the house but I still don't feel comfortable letting my son stay there. I wanted to find out what could happen to my ex thinking that if he knew there were legal repercussions, he may follow through and keep it out of the house. Until I feel comfortable with him going back there, I told my ex that he can spend time with our son but not at his house.

Thanks for your reply.

H

hmmbrdzz

vinjoeana3 said:
The only reason I asked is because I spoke to someone who is a police officer and he said that the person would have to be caught with many pounds and even then would only get a fine. I figured there would have to be something done since minors are involved. The child involved happens to be my son, who when he visits his father's house, was doing these things. I found out and will not allow him to go there. I spoke to his father who said he will get it out of the house but I still don't feel comfortable letting my son stay there. I wanted to find out what could happen to my ex thinking that if he knew there were legal repercussions, he may follow through and keep it out of the house. Until I feel comfortable with him going back there, I told my ex that he can spend time with our son but not at his house.

Thanks for your reply.
==================================

Good for you. And if you spoke to this police officer while he was on duty, then you need to include in your complaint (when and if you ever file one regarding this matter) exactly what this officer told you and who he directed you to speak to.

It would not take "many pounds" for someone who is allowing 13 and 14 year old children to smoke their marijuana in their home to rack up some serious charges. Say, for example, you go to the police and allege that an adult (your ex) is allowing children, including your child, to smoke marijuana in their home and that they are providing the marijuana and that you want to file a complaint about it. Someone in that department is going to investigate your complaint. If police arrive to your ex's property when the children are in his home, your ex-husband (regardless of his smarts on searches) is probably going to be toted off to jail when all is said and done (if he's been smoking pot in that house). If he's been smoking and opens the door to the police, he's going to jail. If he doesn't answer the door, the police already have their reason to enter without his permission, and when they do -- it's not going to take the discovery of many pounds to take him to jail.

If you continue to feel that your child is in danger in your husband's presence in his home (and by "danger", I mean that your ex is allowing him to smoke marijuana), and you want to put a stop to it, you can. Marijuana is illegal, and child endangerment allegations are investigated by the police and by child protective services. Good luck to you.

hmmbrdzz

G

GKris

Well humdinger (ha-still love it) technically you are correct. In reality what she was told is usually the case. Marijuana is not looked at in the same light it was 10 yrs even 5 yrs ago. I've seen guys talk folks into dumping huge baggies out in the grass because the paperwork wasnt worth the time. Wrong as it is. Keeping the kids out of the person's house is the best bet. If it is an ex-spouse, then did this marijuana use just start or is it a continuation from the marriage - meaning was it used before as well? When ex-spouses call the police and report my ex is doing blah blah blah, it is already suspect information because of the emotions involved. When the welfare of a child is genuinly at heart, the courts will back you all the time. If you were to be taken back to court for visitation violations that is. Am I ranting? too much coffee this early

When we were together, yes, my ex smoked. I always got on his case because I honestly never smoked myself and especially felt (and still feel) that parents should not be under that influence when caring for their children. He was not allowed to smoke in the house while we were together, nor was he allowed to keep the stuff there. He remarried someone who happens to be more of a pothead than him so now I hear they smoke all of the time and large quantities. I had addressed this with him a couple of years ago and his answer to me was that what goes on in is house is none of my business. This time, I told him it has now become my business because my son is taking from his father's stash and sharing with his friends. He actually agreed with me and said he would get it out of the house right away. I can't feel confident he will do that especially since I have locked horns with his wife many times about what's best for my kids - they think that she has as much rights with my sons and I do. My ex always consults her on everything - and admitted that to me. He does whatever she says with respect to my kids rather than what I say. She's the kind of person who would probably say that my son had no business being in their stuff. I agree that he shouldn't go through their private things but that it something that shouldn't be there in the first place - especially when he smells it when she is smoking so he knows they have it. I was unsure if anything could be done because I spoke to the father of my ex's step-son, who recently went through a custody battle with the mother, and he said that the judge (or his lawyer, I can't recall) told him that the kid's mother could be strung out on heroin and they still wouldn't take her kid away from her as long as he is fed and clothed. They compared the effects of pot smoking to the effects of alcohol. Since he told me that, I thought maybe they could get away with smoking in the house and not having their stash locked up or out of the house. If there really wasn't anything that would be done to them, then there would be nothing to stop them from continuing to smoke in the house and store their supply.

H

hmmbrdzz

I need coffee!! Hmmmm. For some reason I thought the children were smoking in the ex's house. (sorry if I was mistaken on that). Are they, or is your son stealing it because it's kept in the house? I don't know what to tell you to do if that is the case. When adults allow children to do illegal things in their presence, such as drink alcohol and smoke marijuana, that's a child protective matter and carries a lot more weight than if your son is stealing the pot from the home. If your son is stealing it, you're kind of between a rock and hard place!

hmmbrdzz

And oh yeah (edit here) definitely keep the child away if possible. But -- the child probably likes going over there! You're really in a bad situation!

Last edited:
G

GKris

Well the custody thing is a bunch of hooey. I have sole custody of my daughter and there was no drug use with my ex. In court the judge decided I had more moral than she (she was an adulterer - ess???) and I was awarded fill custody. Regardless though, unfortunatly marijuana use is looked at like booze and the courts really dont take it as serious as they should. The best thing to do is educate your son, the bad thing is that marijuana is being decriminalized everyday so finding horror stories is tough. I got pictures I use to take to High Schools of DWI accidents and drug abuse but nothing on marijuana effects. I could show the increase in pizza hut deliveries I guess. That would just promote it Im sure,,,,

My ex and his wife are smoking in the house with the kids in the next room. So my son knows they have the stuff there and when they are out, he takes it. That's why I was asking about the fact that the adults smoke with the kids being in the house ( I didn't mean they actually smoke "with" the kids, although I can see how it could have been interpreted that way the way I said it). And the fact that the stuff is in the house in a place where it is accessible to the kids (not locked up). I was wondering if the parents of my son's friends would be able to do something if they found out that their son was smoking with stuff my son has gotten from his father's stash. I was hoping that there was something that "could" be done, just as a means to scare my ex so he really follows through and keeps the stuff out of the house. And you are right, my son does like going there and for the longest time, he kept telling me that he wanted to spend time with his father and stupidly I believed him. Now it all makes sense to me. I have been trying to educate him but many teenagers get high and he tends to follow them - it also is hard because he likes it so it makes it easy for him to follow the others (and now it seems like he's the "ringleader" because he's providing the friends with it). I will just have to continue to speak with him and hope he makes the right choices.

O

OnlyOneVoice

I was wondering if the parents of my son's friends would be able to do something if they found out that their son was smoking with stuff my son has gotten from his father's stash
I'm afraid that the only thing that might happen here, if the father isn't actually allowing them to smoke the pot, is your son could be charged with "delivery of a controlled substance."

Not what you are wanting to happen I'm sure.

To get your ex you will have to be able to prove he is giving it to them willingly and that he is endangering the child's safety by driving under the influence or something equally as stupid.

If you know for a fact that you son is getting high you need to set hard boundries and set them now. You need to stop his coming and going and know where he is 24/7 if you have to actually tail him. (I've done this with my son). Another thing is take him to his doctor and have them run a drug screen on him. Also if I'm not mistaken there are "in home" drug kits you can use.

I would do everything possible to inhibit his coming and going to prevent further contact with any "illegal activity".

I am actually punishing him - it's been a week and he knows it will at least be until the end of the month. He comes straight home from school, is not allowed to talk to his friends via internet or phone, and is not permitted to stay at his father's house. I also told him that I will be giving him a drug test (I actually have one in my house) at the end of the month (allowing time for it to be out of his system since he said the last time he smoked was the last Sunday in April) and that the end of his punishment will be contingent on the outcome of the test. I told him that I will continue to periodically test him to make sure he no longer smokes. Hopefully he really understands the negative effects smoking pot has on him and will continue to stay away from it.

O

OnlyOneVoice

You go mom!!!

(inserts a high 5 here).

I would also talk to him about the possible felonyl charge for "delivery of a controlled substance."

Remind him that he could be in huge trouble really HUGE if the parents of the other boy found out and reported it.

He was actually concerned that I would tell the parents of the other boys. I told him that I wouldn't because I don't know what they would do. As far as the legal charges, people have been telling him that the most he would get would be a fine so he thinks I am just telling him things to scare him. I told him that I know it's hard, especially when other teenagers are doing it (not to mention his father and his wife) but that he needs to be strong and not give in to it. He needs to stay away from the kids who are pressuring him, which happens to be someone in the school he attends. Thankfully, the school year is almost over and the kid who constantly asks him, will not be going to the same high school. Although once he's gone, there will always be another and I can't blame others for what my son does. We'll just have to take it one step at a time. Whenever I get the opportunity, I talk to him but I don't want to nag and make things worse. He's been very pleasant to deal with this past week - less annoying - and his relationship with his older brother has been going well - they never get along. I will also bring that up to him because it is very important to him that his brother be nice to him which he has been since he hasn't been getting on his nerves. All I can do is try:)

H

hmmbrdzz

All of that IS good to hear. That age can start some trying times for everyone. The kids have a lot of pressure on them. I can remember when my son began worrying me about possible drug usage and drinking and my threatening him "I'm gonna take you to be tested, boy, and I'll tell your grandpa, and if you're positive, you'll be blah blah blah". LOL ! Hang in there. Mine grew up to be a fine young man.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">