• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Witness, appearing....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dyranty

What is the name of your state? NY
What happens if im a witness in court, and i don't show up for the correct date ?
I am also a minor.
I was told most likely i would appear, but the date has been unclear, and i have no letter saying when, will i get in trouble because of this......i have checked the post office and no mail has been un-sent.
So it should of been here by now, it's been months since, and i was just wondering.

Will they just dismiss everything or what?
charges im a witness to, is Un-authorized use of motorvehicle, and some speeding..... but that's about it, the person with the charges is also a minor....
Just to give a lil insight.

I just want this all to be over soon. Thanks

H

hexeliebe

You left a lot unsaid...

But maybe I'll be able to help you here.

First, you didn't say if you were a prosecution or defense witness. If you were questioned by the police and signed a witness statement then you'll be a prosecution witness. However, if the defense attorney has asked you to appear in the matter you'll be a defense witness.

Either way, unless one party to the hearing has subpoened you to appear as a witness you can decide whether to appear or not, it's up to you.

That being said, it would be in your best interest to appear if and when the trial happens. All you need to do is call or visit the courthouse and speak with the clerk. Tell her anything you can about the case, including the defendant, the attorney if you know his name and any other information you can find out. A copy of the police report of the incident is public information and will have the defendant's name on it.

Once you have this you can find out when the case is to appear on the docket, which is the schedule for trial. If it's not yet been assigned a docket, it hasn't been scheduled for trial.

the main thing is don't worry about it. The court is required to inform you when to appear and whether your appearance is an order or a request so if they don't notify you your obligation is over.

Many times in situations like this the charge is dropped in consideration of a plea bargain and it never goes to trial and that's all you are concerned with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">