• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested on 4 year old warrant for possession.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crsthorn

What is the name of your state?
Utah

I was recently arrested on a 4 year old warrant. The reason I was even stopped was because my car is missing it's front license plate, the highway patrolman ran a check and found a warrant for my arrest from 4 years ago.

I have already scheduled a new court appearance for next Monday. I have obtained a copy of the dockett detailing the charges I am up against. They are, 1) Posession of Drug Paraphernelia, Class B Misdemeanor, 2) Posession of a Controlled Substance (Marijuana) Class B Misdemeanor, 3) Possession of Tobacco By a Minor, Infraction. and 4) Failure to Appear or Comply, Class B Misdemeanor.

My question is, What is likely to happen to me because of these charges? Originally, I was arrested in April of 1999, the officer released me that night by calling a cab to take me home, I was not given a citation indicating when to appear for court, the officer told me that I would be contacted on when to go. So I waited, and heard nothing. I called the court house to see if a date was set, but the person I spoke with said that I was not in their system and to just continue to wait. I waited and still heard nothing, and then just forgot about it and heard nothing about it until last week when I was arrested.

The dockett indicates that the case was not even filed against me until June of 1999. By that time I had moved to another address. The dockett indicates that they attempted to contact me by mail but it was returned due to the residence being vaccant at that time. Then a new warrant was issued for my arrest a year later in August of 2000 with a note saying it was Probable Cause.

Now it is 4 years later, I do not do drugs any longer, and haven't for approximately 3 and 1/2 years or more. I am attending college, (completed 2 years so far) and have a job.

I guess my main concern is that I will lose my eligibility for Financial Aid at school, or I will lose my ability to go to school by an excessive fine or loss of my driving privilage. I have never been in this type of situation before, so I have no idea what i'm up against or even what to expect. Will the fact that I no longer do drugs and am attending school count for anything? Or perhaps the fact that it took 4 years and the lamest excuse on the planet to pull someone over to serve me this warrant?

If anyone could offer any advice or suggestions on what I should do, I would greatly appreciate it. Should I attend the court hearing with a lawyer present? or would that just make matters worse? Again, any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">