• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Didn't file 14 yrs ago-should I worry?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

withonel

What is the name of your state? CA

My ex-husband called me last night (married 88-91) and said the IRS is telling him to file tax returns for the last 20 years. He wanted to know if I filed taxes in 1989. I called the IRS (I didn't have records that far back and really couldn't remember) and they said they have no record of me filing either under my SS # or ex-husband's in 1989. I worked only about 3 mo in 1989, but don't have any W-2 or other income info from that time period any more. Should I worry?

abezon

Find out what the standard deduction was for a married couple and what the personal exemption amount was. You are required to file a return if your income from working exceeded 1/2 the standard MFJ deduction + 1 exemption amount. (If you & your husband were itemizing deductions back then, you have to file if your income exceeded 1 personal exemption & your husband itemized for those years.)

If you do not have to file (& frankly, with no W-2 there's no way for the IRS to show you had to file), don't file. Do not under any circumstance file jointly with your ex unless he gives you a money order or cashier's check made out the the IRS for any tax due + any penalties + interest. If you sign a joint return, you are liable for any & all taxes, penalties, & interest due even though most of the income was his. Don't subject yourself to liability unless you are absolutely certain the money is already covered.

Dandy Don

You don't have to worry. In 1989 you most likely did not have enough total income for the year to meet the minimum for filing a federal tax return. The amount of federal and state taxes which were deducted for 3 months is probably so small that it probably wasn't worth it for you to ask for a refund.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">