• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned child...(adopting)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EGSM

What is the name of your state? NY

I am a stepmom. My DH has custody of 9 year old daughter. BM "disappeared" two years ago; she moved, disconnected phone number. We have no way of reaching her. Please trust when I say, it's in the best interest of the child to be away from BM. If needed, I will give details, but I basically want to know what steps I need to take in order to adopt this child. My DH wants me to adopt her.

Thank you,
EGSM

Seanscott

File a petition to adopt in your local courthouse. Ask for termination of biomom's parental rights due to abandonment. It sounds like you have a classic case for a successful stepparent adoption. 'Good luck' to you.

B

becky-mom

is there a length of time that shows abandonment or is it based on the circumstance, I'm in wa.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">