• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult adoption (my own)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EGSM

What is the name of your state? NY

I'm 39 years old. My BF "left" when I was two years old (not in US) and I never saw him again. I heard that he died a few years ago. My stepfather raised me, but never adopted me.

I want him to adopt me now. What steps do I need to take?

Thanks.
EGSM

nextwife

AS you are an adult, likely consent to adoption may be given by you. WE did our daughter's "readoption" in Childrens' Court without an attorney, as it was already final and sealed in her birth country. The courthouse had a packet of forms available for a moderate fee ($6) and we filed and appeared ourselves. Your situation is likely even easier, as no Home Study social worker would be needed.

Here is a summary of NY adoption law:

http://www.adoptionsolutions.com/general/state laws/ny_law.htm

Good luck!

Last edited:
E

EGSM

I did change my last name when I became a US cititzen. But, what erked me was that when I got married, they printed my "sperm donor's" name on it as being my father. (Sorry if I offended any dads).

My stepdad has been my "father" all my life. My mom's "sperm donor" abandoned me and my mom when I was two years old and my stepdad did everything a father should do for a child, for me.

I honestly want to erase my BF's name from EVERYTHING.

I don't want to be judged by this comment; it's just the way I feel. My stepdad IS my dad/father/daddy, etc. and I want HIS name on everything I get.

EGSM

nextwife

I totally understand. You want the record to reflect who IS your "real" father (your step-dad), not the genetic donor who did not fill that roll. Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">