• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sign sprayed in black paint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

VeeGee

What is the name of your state? NY

My son parked his car where a "NO PARKING" sign was sprayed with black paint. Other cars were parked there also, so he didn't think to look at the other signs. He got a ticket..he took pics of the sign, his car and other cars parked there too. Does he have a good chance of having this ticket dismissed? Thanks all :)

Last edited:

spawn_x

someone correct me if i am wrong but it has to be a valid county sign, no?

i got into an argument once with a theatre who wouldn't let me park my car in front of it because they said no parking is allowed but had no signs there and the curb wasn't painted any color.

Here's a question to you.. on the ticket, what did it say the "charge" was? it has to tell you at the bottom.

V

VeeGee

Thanx for responding...the ticket read " no parking after 4pm". But the sign that was there was sprayed in black paint? Don't know if we should try and fight this or not...what do you think?

spawn_x

Did it say anywhere "no parking after 4pm"? If not then go take pictures and fight it.

hopefully you didn't just "not see" the right sign..

L

Lusus Naturae

It is the responsibility of a vehicle operator to find out what the sign states. The assumption falls on the side of caution in most cases with regard to driving and parking violations. If the sign was spray painted, the driver should have made every reasonable attempt to find out what the sign read (by walking down the block and reading other signs on the same side of the street); if not, everyone could park where they wished and simply 'paint out' the sign nearest to their vehicle.

-----------------------------------------------------
Motto of the moment: Don't nap on a sofa -- you should never put your head where other people put their butts.

spawn_x

where did ya get that from? There are plenty of streets with 2 different signs on each side.. one part won't allow parking at certain time, and another part at another time.

if there are no signs or the nearest sign is not visible from where she parked, she will win.

spray painted signs aren't really credible methods of not allowing parking.

edit: ok i think i may have misunderstood.. was it spray painted NO PARKING? or was it a sign that you couldn't see because there was paint over it?

Last edited:
V

VeeGee

It was a sign that was covered with black paint...and no visible sign near where the car was parked to see if parking was allowed or not.

JETX

I know this is going to be an 'obvious' question but, your post only says that the sign was "sprayed with black paint".
What part of the sign was painted and was the sign LEGIBLE??

If you are saying that the sign was NOT legible IN ANY WAY, take pictures of the sign and request a court date. The problem that you may have is dependant on the amount of time between the ticket and the timestamp on the pictures or video. The prosecution could claim that the sign was painted AFTER the ticket in attempt to influence the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">