• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liable for husband's back taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mgmkitty

What is the name of your state? California

i married my husband last year. he hasn't filed his taxes in 5 years. he finally filed this year, and doesn't owe much, we're trying to work out a payment we can handle. but will i be liable for his debt? i.e. will my wages be garnished? can they seize any property we are making payments on? can they garnish any pensions i receive?

Last edited:

abezon

They won't garnish your wages or pension, but they can garnish a joint bank account and they can take any joint refund to pay his debt. If you file jointly, either make sure you don't have a refund, or file a claim as an injured spouse so that you get your refund back & the IRS only takes his money.

mgmkitty

I filed married but filing seperately. If we are making an effort to repay his debt, will they go so far as to garnish his wages, or our bank accounts? Or even put him in jail?

abezon

Not unless he owes thousands. Just send the IRS money everytime they send you a letter. Don't bother with a payment plan unless you get some benefit from it -- like they agree in writing to waive the penalties. (They won't.) Paymant plans are rigid & one late payment causes the IRS to start collection proceedings. If you just send money in regularly, they won't go to collections.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">