• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

boobare97

What is the name of your state? (NC)

Okay here is the situation. I was married for less than two years. We had a son a year into the marriage. We seperated (under a restraining order) in Feb of '98. In May of '98 my attorney started up the child support papers, and we went to court and they established it and so on. I have since remarried and have been with my current husband for a little over four years. My ex husband has nothing to do with my son. Once in a while he may send a letter or something, and I just started receiving regular child support last June. (This is after 5yrs) My son is now 6, and my husband is like a father to him. In fact he knows no different. My husband would like to adopt him. What would be needed to be done? If my exhusband contests it, what happens? Can my exhusband just sign over his parental rights since my husband now wants to adopt my son?

djohnson

Your husband can file for adoption. The bio father is contacted and established if need be. If he agrees then it's a lot easier for you. Once his parental rights are terminated your husband can adopt. Keep in mind once this happens he will no longer be responsible to pay CS. Arrears yes but from then on no. The best thing to do is see good family attorney. You may can do it yourself but there are always problems and mistakes. Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">